The Official 2007 Election Thread

Talk here about anything that isn't covered by the other boards....
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Which is why RUdd need to go on teh war path so to speak. He needs to play the Conservative card and scare teh voters. make them feel a war with Iran is on the horizon with the neo-conservative government we have now.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

boncer34 wrote:
Sismis wrote:Just because a party does not get in, that doesn't mean you have wasted your vote. If a candidate receives a certain % of the vote they get their campaign funded.

This is how parties like the greens have survived.
This is how independents like my good self survive.
You are doing a great thing. I really hope to see a lot more independents/greens/democrats get seats. Guys like you are the ONLY hope this country has.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Paul as much I would like to rely on the good judgement of the bookies in the pricing of the electoral market, for me departing with 10 large is too risky - "when it comes to" the electoral process in Australia. Put it this way if you can afford to lose $10,000 then by all means, but nothing is a guarantee in this world and odds on favourites do get beaten occasionally. It is still possible for the ALP to poll more than 50% on the vote and not win goverment.

To quote big Mal, having said that let me say this. In my opinion all is going well for the ALP. The small target strategy is working to this point. They have said to themselves we will refuse to get wedged by Howard. This has worked for Howard in the past to great effect. Rudd has come over very well. He doesnt get flustered and he seems to have a great deal of personal charisma.

My celebrations regarding Abbott day of shame were premature after Peter Garrett stupidly chose to be jocular with a shock jock.

Howard last gasp for power yesterday was a well targeted grab bag for the aspirational swinging voters.

To me it will go down to the undecided who will make up their mind by ascertaining whether the "Its Time" factor outweighs the "Risky ALP" factor.

With Labor's launch tomorrow I am hoping with have a knock out blow. Something the govt hasnt anticipated that will leave them flummoxed.

Beware any decisions on the Haneef case in the last week. Howard could use this as a wedge.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Essendon4eva wrote:Which is why RUdd need to go on teh war path so to speak. He needs to play the Conservative card and scare teh voters. make them feel a war with Iran is on the horizon with the neo-conservative government we have now.
................um, no.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

MH_Bomber wrote:Beware any decisions on the Haneef case in the last week. Howard could use this as a wedge.
Very interesting point. Although if he did use it as a wedge he would change the message of his campaign in the last week. It is really amazing that currently we are stuck in Iraq, Afghanistan and in a global war on terror which shows no signs of ending - and there has been zero discussion of foreign affairs or national security. Extraordinary really, and perhaps its an indication of the selfishness of the electorate.

No discussion of foreign aid or debt relief either. :roll:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Just re: Haneef, it's worth noting that another of ASIO's prosecutions fell over yesterday for various reasons, most of them to do with operative incompetence and deliberate flouting of the law. Any attempt by the Liberals to use ASIO's pursuit of Haneef as some sort of political device could be quite easily undermined by a Labor response pointing out that ASIO is clearly not the most competent organisation going round at the moment.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Has ASIO ever been perceived as a COMPETENT Organisation?

What was that Imfamous Bungled Raid they made about 20 or so years previous?

MAX GILLIES went to town on it in his GILLIES REPORT.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Just re: Haneef, it's worth noting that another of ASIO's prosecutions fell over yesterday for various reasons, most of them to do with operative incompetence and deliberate flouting of the law. Any attempt by the Liberals to use ASIO's pursuit of Haneef as some sort of political device could be quite easily undermined by a Labor response pointing out that ASIO is clearly not the most competent organisation going round at the moment.
Agree, but chance of this happening = zero.
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

MH_Bomber, mate you are indeed a wiseman.
great advice.
But if the poles show 55-45 I'm going for it.
That a 10 % lead, take away 1.5 error, take away 3 for marginal seat pork, that it;s leaves 5.5 and that's over the point of the national swing.

If it gets close, with Libs calming they can win with 48%, I keeping in money.
But I've just got this feeling.
'I get why the demons all fall in line with you. You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary, Frankenstein looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins.'
Spike
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Sismis wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Sismis wrote:Just because a party does not get in, that doesn't mean you have wasted your vote. If a candidate receives a certain % of the vote they get their campaign funded.

This is how parties like the greens have survived.
This is how independents like my good self survive.
You are doing a great thing. I really hope to see a lot more independents/greens/democrats get seats. Guys like you are the ONLY hope this country has.
Wish I was doing it this time Sismis. Sadly my financial backer pulled out and with the local rag never showing any interest in anything a Ind. has to say I had to pull out early on.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Agree with most of it, but I am so sick of him butting in on every single issue.

Is there anything quite as a sad as a former Australian Prime Minister? Wouldn't have thought so.

The ALP has their policy launch today. And presumably they will respond to Howard's spending spree.... with a slightly different spending spree of their own. Maybe they will show some real leadership and decide to invest in infrastructure instead of just giving money back to everybody... but I wouldn't count on it...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:Agree with most of it, but I am so sick of him butting in on every single issue.

Is there anything quite as a sad as a former Australian Prime Minister? Wouldn't have thought so.
I'm also sick of this government referring back to Keating and Hawke's term in office. So in light of their constant references to him, I think it is appropriate that he responds.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

By all means he should.

The tories will say Malcolm should butt out as well,but by now,they've just about DISOWNED HIM.

Plus BILLY BIG EARS and a Decent man in JOHN GORTON.Weren't the Precious ones MUTTERING "TRAITOR" in reference to John in recent Lib Re-union Shindigs?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Staggy wrote:Agree with most of it, but I am so sick of him butting in on every single issue.

The ALP has their policy launch today. And presumably they will respond to Howard's spending spree.... with a slightly different spending spree of their own. Maybe they will show some real leadership and decide to invest in infrastructure instead of just giving money back to everybody... but I wouldn't count on it...
Spot on Staggy. We do not need bribes, we need long term thinking and spending.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

He had 2+1/2 Years to come up with this BRIBE and 2 HOUSE MAJORITY.

Asleep at the wheel on that score(and many others).Probably trying to RUSTLE UP a FAMILY IMPACT STATEMENT.As if,....
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I listened to the launch in full.

Found it a bit hypocritical that he chose to say things like "reckless spending must stop" and "I choose to heed the warnings of the Reserve Bank" when he is granting $30B in tax cuts....
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Filthy thanks for clarifying my gender.

I watched the Labor Launch in its entirety and was quite impressed with the message.

It was delayed by an what seemed like over an hour with some technical glitch. I reckon it was to do with the positioning of the auto cue because Rudd appeared to be getting his lines from a cue to his diagonal right. I found this somewhat disconcerting from a body language point of view. He would have been better off reading from notes in front of him on the lectern. No doubt some Liberal sabotage at play.

His passion for education does appear to be genuine and will appeal to a wide cross section of the electorate.

10 days to go now. I am really hoping I will have something significant to celebrate come election day.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

Rudd much better that Howard.
Rudd - " I believe in education, I believe, I Believe.

Howard -" I want to be PM, I want to be PM, I want to be PM
'I get why the demons all fall in line with you. You're like Tony Robbins. If he was a big scary, Frankenstein looking... You're exactly like Tony Robbins.'
Spike
Paul18
Top Up Player

Post by Paul18 »

Barnaby Joyce says, Government is gone.
You know it's over when they start giving up
before hand.
Spike
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Paul18 wrote:Barnaby Joyce says, Government is gone.
You know it's over when they start giving up
before hand.
When did he say that? And I wouldn't bet on anything. With elections, it's never over until it's over.
Essendunny