Boncers Review

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Boncers Review

Post by boncer34 »

Thought I'd look at our end of season cull now.
Mark Bolton- Gone
Kepler Bradley- Gone
Campo- Gone
Cole- Gone
Davey- Stay
Dempsey- Stay
Dyson- Stay
Fletch- Stay
Gumby- Stay
Heffernan- Gone
Hille- Stay
Hird- Retired
Hislop- Stay
Houli- Stay
Jetta- Stay
Johns- Trade Bait/Stay
JJ- Trade Bait/Gone
MJ- Trade Bait/Stay
Chook- Stay
Lee- Gone
Lloyd- Stay
Lonergan- Stay
Lovett- Stay
Lovett-Murray- Stay
Lucas- Stay
McPhee- Trade bait/Stay
McVeigh- Stay
MM- Stay
Monfries- Trade bait/Stay
Nash- Stay
Neagle- Stay
Peverill- Trade bait/Stay
Ramma- Stay
Reimers- Stay
Ryder- Stay
Slattery- Stay
Stanton- Stay
Watto- Stay
Welsh- Trade bait/Stay
Winders- Stay

I got 8 blokes either gone or retired.
I also got 7 trade bait.

Thoughts?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I think mostly right, except for the following:

Peverill: No way you'd trade him. Has been in our top 5 players this year I reckon.

Lee: I think he deserves a proper chance.

Welsh: Has had a pretty good year, and is young. Untouchable.

Monfries: He's only in his second year. Has struggled massively but I'd definitely keep him for a few more years at least.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Staggy wrote:I think mostly right, except for the following:

Peverill: No way you'd trade him. Has been in our top 5 players this year I reckon.

Monfries: He's only in his second year. Has struggled massively but I'd definitely keep him for a few more years at least.
Pev is getting on, starting to get to slow. He has been one of our best THIS year so get something for him while his stocks are up.
Lee is gone, sorry guys but he aint going anywhere. Unless the new coach gives him a fresh start.
As I said to you before either Welsh, McPhee or MJ has to go. Not really fussed who but just one of them.
Monfries is going to become a flash in the pan player IMO. Good one game shocking the next.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:I think mostly right, except for the following:

It's his third season - 49 games. I'd still keep him, but next year he has to make up for this year.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Boncer why does one of McPhee, Welsh or MJ must go?

I agree with most you've said but I don't understand why one of those three must go. I would assume all of them have futures with the dons.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

As I mentioned in aother post - most players with question marks will probably get another chance to see how they respond with a new coach
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Hmmm... Probably a little silly to delist 8 players in what's considered a shit draft.

My thoughts:

Rama will be promoted.

We will take a maximum of 4 kids in this draft because it's rubbish. (remember that we only took 6 last year in the "super draft" and passed on our seventh).

We currently have Chartres, Dick, Hocking, McKinnon on our rookie list. Chartres and Dick will remain as they are in their first year. Hocking might get promoted. McKinnon looks like he might be in no man's land with Hille and Laycock ahead of him - might try another rookie big man.

Even if we trade our proverbials off, we will be unlikely to secure more than one trade (given that there were 9 in total for the whole league last year). And we're unlikely to trade our picks so there would be no net gain of positions on our list.

So... you can expect a maximum of six delistings but more likely five. Bradley won't be one of them at 21.

Definitely gone:
Cole
Heffernan
Hird (retired)

Likely gone:
Lee (has been terrible in the twos)
Campo

Thin ice:
Bolton
Dyson
JJ
Lonergan

Welsh, Monfries and Pev as trade bait? I hope you're kidding. Welsh and Pev are two of the only blokes on our list in the prime of their careers and Monfries is already getting targeted by the opposition because he's quality.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Mark Bolton- Gone
Kepler Bradley- 50/50
Campo- 50/50 Wouldn't be upset if he stayed.
Cole- Gone
Davey- Stay
Dempsey- Stay
Dyson- 50/50
Fletch- Stay
Gumby- Stay
Heffernan- Gone
Hille- Stay
Hird- Retired
Hislop- Stay
Houli- Stay
Jetta- Stay
Johns- Trade Bait/Stay
JJ- Trade Bait/Stay
MJ- Trade Bait/Stay
Chook- Stay
Lee- 50/50 Would say more likely to go.
Lloyd- Stay
Lonergan- Stay
Lovett- Stay
Lovett-Murray- Stay
Lucas- Stay
McPhee- Trade bait/Stay
McVeigh- Stay
MM- Stay
Monfries- Stay
Nash- Stay
Neagle- Stay
Peverill- Stay
Ramma- Stay
Reimers- Stay
Ryder- Stay
Slattery- Stay
Stanton- Stay
Watto- Stay
Welsh- Stay
Winders- Stay
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Can't believe so many on here are suggesting Cole should go. Should get another 3 years, minimum.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

1. M Johnson - Gone. Too slow and skills (or lack thereof) hurt
2. Dyson - Wish he was one of Sheedys favourites. Plays a few good games, then has a quiet one last week and is dropped.
3. Gumbleton - too early
4. Watson - One of our best players this year
5. Hird - Retired
6. Monfries - If he is Homesick, then possible trade. But i would defintely keep him and play him more in the middle. Needs to be exposed to the middle more often.
7. Jetta - Have heard that he wants to go back home, but I dont believe it
8. Winderlich - Improved a heap this year
9. Rama - I would still keep him for another year or two, though he has been finding it hard for the past couple of weeks. Probably a spell in the 2's for the next couple of weeks and have him come back against Richmond
10. McVeigh - wil go close to our best and fairest
11. Peverill - would probably keep him for one more year, is in our best 22 at the moment and that shows how bad our list is. No disrespect to Pev, but he SHOULDNT be in our best 22, but is due to most other players being piss poor
12. Welsh - Best year for a while, been good up forward
13. Lovett - Is he the only aboriginal player who cant keep his feet?
14. J Johnson - Time is running out. Slow, skills let him down. Gets found out by teams with quick midfields with hard bodies
15. Dempsey - Always injured. Is very quick so worth keeping.
16. Bradley - Why recruit a wingman to play him in defence? Just because it worked once(Fletch was a forward), doesnt mean it will always work.
17. Campo - Gone
18. Lloyd - Needs to lift as being captain. I reckon next year, he will dominate once again. Hard coming back after missing a year of footy
19. Hille - good at times, would it kill him to be consistent? Been here 8 years, should be peaking pretty soon
20. Slattery - Been good this year, definitely a player of the future. Done great in the shut down roles
21. Johns - In trouble
22. Michael - will paly next year, doubt he will play beyond that
23. Bolton - Gone
24. Stanton - Hasnt taken the next step like he had done the past 3 years, but hasnt gone backwards either. Been ok this year, still be in top 10 of B&F
25. Lucas - Been ok also, still cant work out why he and Lloyd are both up on the wing at the same time.
26. Heff - Should be gone, plays well in Bendigo, doesnt do much whe he comes up to the ones.
27. Laycock - Getting better with each game. From the Melbourne game onwards, he has improved with each game.
28. Cole - what a waste
29. Davey - Sad that he is probably one of our most important players. First year player, but it seems as though when he went down, we lost 4-5 goals just with him not being there. He will kick a couple but his tackling and harassing is sensational. None of this zoning off shit.
30. Ryder - Will be a top ruckman one day. Probably better that Sheeds is going as he would have turned him into a FB and robbed us of how good he will be
31. Fletch - reliable as ever. Got frustrated for the past 2-3 weeks but played well again on the weekend. Should be top 3-5 in B&F
32. Lee - What has happened to him?
33. McPhee - Traid bait
34. Neagle - Injured
35. Hislop - Like the looks of him. Runs ahrd and fast and has a dose of Henry Slattery's angry pills. Has courage and like davey, Runs at the player smartly, doesnt zone off
36. Lonergan - Like lee, what has happened to him? Cant be that bad
37. REimers - hasnt played a game
38. Nash - Lowered his colours against Hawthorn but has been very good since his inclusion
42. NLM - makes some shocking decisions sometimes, but gives us run and some hardness. Kicking needs to improve
43. Houli - How is this guy not getting games? He plays well down at Bendigo and played ok when in the seniors for 3-4 weeks. Admittedly needed a break from the 1's, but surely he can come back in now. Has good speed and skills and is wonderful with the hands. Very composed also. Would compliment a quick midfield very well.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Can't believe so many on here are suggesting Cole should go. Should get another 3 years, minimum.
Cole. I've heard the name somewhere before....
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Can't believe so many on here are suggesting Cole should go. Should get another 3 years, minimum.
That's the first post you have written about Cole that didn't mention KFC. Congratulations....
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Staggy wrote:

That's the first post you have written about Cole that didn't mention KFC. Congratulations....
Phew! Thanks for reminding me - i almost forgot.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gatsid wrote:Boncer why does one of McPhee, Welsh or MJ must go?

I agree with most you've said but I don't understand why one of those three must go. I would assume all of them have futures with the dons.
Well McPhee is probably a bit different to the 2 players, but I feel that they all play similar roles. 2 in a side I can understand but 3? Has me wondering.

Throw in NLM that makes 4 but I think NLM is in the definetly stay category.

Simply I feel those 3 are in that select category where we could get some value for them and be able to cover their absence succesfully.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

jayden1990 wrote:1. M.Johnson - been servicable for long time but we are seeing far from his best....

2. R.Dyson - bit hard to see were this young man is goin. seems to do great things one week an then nutin the next... at the crossroads

3. S.Gumbleton - looking good from what we've seen... bit hard to judge.

4. J.Watson - Probly turned into our most attacking midfielder an playin well but we lack attacking midfielders wit speed.

5. J.Hird - Dont even need to say anythin...but its almost ova

6. A.Monfries - looked lik he was goin to be a star an i reckon he still will be... but there is problems there this year without a doubt.

7. L.Jetta - Lookin fairly good from wat we have seen !

8. .J.Winderlich - starting to really establish himself was bit worries couple of years ago but now seeems to be one of our more important players..

9. A.Ramanaskus - Pretty hard to judge... but has showed a few signs since coming back why he is a great footballer.

10. M.McVeigh - True leader at the club now had a great year...

11. D.Peveril - A guy that finds the ball wit ease !!... its just when he gets it.. it can become a problem...poor decisions sometimes.

12. A.Welsh - Had a bit of a interesting season... bit all ova the joint but has done reasonable job... has a future still

13. A.Lovett - Has all the talent in the world !!... few inurys this year but wuld be great to see him to get back to that exciting player that tkaes the game on an kiks a couple a game !!

14. J.Johnson - This guy is is trouble i think... bit lik pev.. gets te ball ok but an lost skill by foot badly an has lost pace an is strugling to keep up !...

15. C.Dempsey - very hard to judge really... been struct wit injury bad this year hopfully he can get ova it !!.... looks like he culd be somethin special...

16. K.Bradley - Had his chance i think... trade bait !!.. not in the future of the club.

17. S.Camporeale - still capable not in our long term plans thats obvious but has done reasonable things wen he has played !!.... not sure if he will be tere next year tho !!...

18. M.Llyod - been a gr8 playin for over a decade.... looks like he has lacked confidence this year tho !!.. just play him at FF were he belongs... i think he feels like he has to come further up the ground because he is skipper to try an hav more influence on the game !!..

19. D.Hille - Been a serviceable ruckman an a reasonable player !!... would lik to see him take that next step tho from a ood ruckman to a very good ruckman..

20. H.Slattery - had a reasonable season really... done some good shut down rolls.. would lik to see how he goes in a more attacking role tho...

21. C.Johns - Hard to see him establish himself with llyod an lucas there... an mal an fletch !!... trade bait i think.

22. M.Michael - Has had a serviceable season really.. even tho his implact may hav not been gr8 it has released fletch.

23. M.Bolton - I really dunno wit this guy !!... i thought he was goin to be a good footballer a few years ago..... just not up to it as a KPP or a tall wingman (unless playin on goodes lol) ... trade bait an at the crossroads

24. B.Stanton - Been great and is a serious part of the future of the midfield !!...however disposal by foot has ben bit average in patched tis year afta it hought it was good last year.

25. S.Lucas - Been great for long time an had great year but like most of our good players is geting on..

26. C.Heffernan - Will be the end of a AFL career at the end of the year !!... been a reasonable career..

27. J.Laycock - Consistency is the key !!..... in patches looks like he could be anything then other moments looks average (i think he plays alot on confidence).

28. R.Cole - Worless sack of shit get ride of him nutin else to say.

29. A.Davey - Looks like he goin to be a super player hopfuly continues on again next year..... would like to see him get little bit more of the ball tho..

30. P.Ryder - Going to be a fantastic player over at least the next decade... eventually maybe into a ruckman or a permanent backmen.

31. D.FLetcher - Prob be unlucky not to earn All Aus status this year really !!.... but at 32 hes geting old an wont be around for eva

32. A.Lee - Havnt really seen a great deal but from wat i have seen at VFL level... prob will struggle to make it i think !!....

33. A.McPee - Once again alot of potential but hasnt been the mcphee of 2004 !!... not sure if its cause of injury or just a form slump !!... i still tink he is important to the future IMO...

34. J.Neagle - Too hard to judge really... but was lookin good in Pre season before injuries..

35. T.Hislop - Nice an hard at it !!... prob havnt seen a great deal to judge fairly but lookin reasonable from wat we hav seen.

36. S.Lonergan - Even tho he has only played 1 AFL game i think he will become a reasonable player... sows good signs in the VFL... prob hasnt got opportunity's he has deserved.

37. K.Riemers - Cant judge

38. J.Nash - I really really like tis guy... polised footballer by foot an knows how to tackle reasonable speed to... is def a futur prospect.

39. H.Hocking - as to get elevated soon !!.... gets alot of it in the VFL .

40. D.Dick - Cant judge

41. D.Charters - Looked good in the indiginus game in the pre season an has been named in best few times for bendigo so... hopfully might get a go...

42. N.Lovett-Murray - Very talented footballer.... gives us important run of HB when hes in form an is startin to show back that form last few weeks.... is important player for future...

43. B.Houli - Looking very good in his first hand full of games an looks like he shuld be a good footballer... has reasonable skills by the looks of it...

44. L.Mckinnon - cant judge...

Im a bit worried that in the next few years wen the likes of... Lucas, Llyod, Fletch, Hird, Mal we are goin to be left in a bit of a ditch !!.... i realy dunt kno if we have the cattle on that list to fill shoes lik that.... an we arnt exactly on top now !!!....

wat are peoples thoughts on this !!
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

I think we should look at seeing what we could get for Hille. He's been around the club for a while, but still hasn't developed into a terribly consistent performer, or developed his ruck skills to a decent standard. I reckon a few clubs (Doggies, Scum, Saints) would have a look, and we may get something decent in return as he's have some currency.

This would also give chances to Ryder and Laycock to grow as ruckmen. Laycock has shown signs but needs consistent time in the position, and Ryder should become the best ruckman we've had since Madden. Time to give these boys a chance.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

On the rookies - Hocking should be promoted and I think McKinnon either has to go or be promoted. I believe a player can only be a rookie for 2 seasons and that is why we didn't keep Jolly last year. So for mine McKinnon is gone.

Keep Dick and Chartres to give them another chance.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

While Mcphee hasn't developed into the superstar we had hoped, he is still an excellent player. Has some shocking disposal at times, but he averages 20 touches a game, 8 marks and 3 tackles. A more than adequate return.

Anyone thinking of trading Welsh cannot have watched a game this year.

Boncer, All three of Welsh, NLM and McPhee can play either end of the ground or even on the wing.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

azza78 wrote:I think we should look at seeing what we could get for Hille. He's been around the club for a while, but still hasn't developed into a terribly consistent performer, or developed his ruck skills to a decent standard. I reckon a few clubs (Doggies, Scum, Saints) would have a look, and we may get something decent in return as he's have some currency.

This would also give chances to Ryder and Laycock to grow as ruckmen. Laycock has shown signs but needs consistent time in the position, and Ryder should become the best ruckman we've had since Madden. Time to give these boys a chance.
Understand your reasoning, but I think both Hille & Laycock will be around. I have been disappointed in their ruck work for most of the year, but they have graduually improved in this department in recent weeks. Laycock has the potential to be a monster of the game. Must stay, and MUST produce consistency next year. Hille is OK. His around the ground is excellent, but does need to improve his tap work no doubt. Hille is a good player, and will continue to improve I believe.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Thought that both Hille and Laycock have rucked reasonably well over the last few games and appeared to get their share of the taps. Problem occurs when our mid fielders cannot take advantage.

I think that both of them get to a point whereby they would rather grab the pill themselves.

Laycock starting to make his presence felt around the ground with some good marking and kicking whereas this part of Hille's game has deserted him. Would definitely hang on to both.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark