Captain, My Captain!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Captain, My Captain!!

Post by Windy_Hill »

dont think much me needs to be said - this guy must take over the captaincy next year

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/t ... 40013.html

PRIVATE pre-season counselling from retired Essendon legend James Hird has prompted his close friend Mark McVeigh to instil the club's historical relevance into his younger teammates.

When the tears were wiped away from last year's emotional farewell to Hird and coach Kevin Sheedy in Perth, left in front of McVeigh was the stark reality that the Bombers were in for a tough overhaul.

Then when he stood in front of his No. 10 locker and saw the names above his of Essendon greats John Coleman, Alan Noonan, Garry Foulds and Gary O'Donnell, he decided to make a bold stand in what his Bombers knew would be a period of pain.

McVeigh said he knew a measured speech in front of the club's faithful at last year's best-and-fairest awards about his desire to help fill part of Hird's legacy would self-inflict an inescapable pressure to perform.

Fitter than at any point in his career, the former Sydneysider's 21.6 possessions a game this season are eight up on his career average, but he is also determined to ensure the long list of baby Bombers embrace the club's long-earned standing in the game.

West Australian-bred forward Scott Gumbleton says pointed words from McVeigh to find strength for the club had been a key motivation during his long and frustrating recovery.

In that, it is clear that McVeigh's commitment is already reaping valuable rewards.

Out of contract at the end of the year, but desperate to be a Bomber for life, the 27-year-old wants his final seasons to be his most meaningful. "I have to take that role on as a player because there's a real gap in our club in terms of age group where drafted players haven't come through or aren't there any more," said McVeigh, whose brother Jarrad plays for Sydney. "There's only myself and Adam Ramanauskas left from my draft year (1998).

"I came through an era when the club was invincible and I've seen how good it can be. I was passed down information from your Hirds, your Barnards, your Hardwicks, Alessios, Mercuris and Misitis, who are names you automatically put with Essendon.

"It's who I grew up with and it's how I want to see myself — Mark McVeigh, associated with Essendon. I'm Essendon through and through, it's my home and I have to lead the kids as much as I can because Matthew Lloyd can't do it all."

Ironically, McVeigh delivered Hird one of his cruellest injuries when his knee accidentally smashed through his captain's cheekbone during a 2002 game against Fremantle at Subiaco Oval.

Rather than bear a grudge, Hird has been one of McVeigh's most staunch supporters, to the point where he has now set him on an employment path after football with Melbourne-based brokerage firm Evans & Partners.

But his guidance for life in football remains more immediate.

"After that last game where James had finished, we had some private conversations about taking that next step and trying to fill that void of players who won't be there, himself included," he said.

"He would say a little, but it would mean a lot to me. I would take it away and it would give me that extra 5% to keep working and little trigger things that would ring out when you waver a little.

"At the best-and-fairest, I spoke about James' passion and dedication and taking a little bit of that with you and I knew the ramifications that would have on me because I put my hand up to be the one to take it on board.

"So I went away in the pre-season and put my head down and worked extremely hard."

And through the changes at the club, McVeigh has not had to look far to keep his club focus grounded.

"I enjoy finding out a lot about the guys who have gone before you … on my locker, I've got Coleman, Noonan, Foulds and O'Donnell. You're reminded of that every day when you go to your locker and at least once a week, you tell yourself you don't want to be the weak link in that chain."

McVeigh's frantic pre-season workload led to him tearing his hamstring in round four against the Western Bulldogs, but he has worked back to the best form of his career.

As he prepared to face West Coast at Telstra Dome tonight, he said he rated last year's one-point win over the Eagles as one of the best of his career and one that gave his mate Hird a lasting football memory.

McVeigh played nine games as an 18-year-old in 1999, one game in the club's premiership-winning season of 2000 and then 23 in 2001, including the losing grand final to the Brisbane Lions.

Now with 170 games under his belt, he has backed Essendon coach Matthew Knights to lead a revival. "It's been a huge turnaround in eight years and the list turnover has been massive," he said.

"I understand the potshots being taken at us because the whole club's changed and we'll be judged on wins and losses. But our club is very united in the way we believe in 'Knighta' and the way he's trying to rebuild the club.

"Although we're not happy with the position we're in and we don't like losing and it's frustrating as a player, we're good mates and feel if we iron out a few things we aren't doing great, we're on the right track to developing a team to be able to challenge for a finals series in two or three years."
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Re: Captain, My Captain!!

Post by Makaveli »

Windy_Hill wrote:dont think much me needs to be said - this guy must take over the captaincy next year

Agreed, nice article!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

No argument from me. Mark McVeigh is a gem.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Out of contract at the end of the year, but desperate to be a Bomber for life, the 27-year-old wants his final seasons to be his most meaningful.

Surely Mark McVeigh is the first bloke that should be re-signed at the club. Sign him immediately, offer him a 3 year year and the captaincy.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

He's a little bit like Richo for mine... at least you can tell he gives a shit about what's happening!!!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

"It's who I grew up with and it's how I want to see myself — Mark McVeigh, associated with Essendon. I'm Essendon through and through, it's my home and I have to lead the kids as much as I can because Matthew Lloyd can't do it all."
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

The word "at" is missing before the word "all" in that sentence you've highlighted, sismis.

Big fan of Spike - hope they give the captaincy to him coz he deserves it!
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Clever pun, however I am a big fan of Spike too - obviously - and I can tell you that bagging Essendon Players of the class of Matthew Lloyd particularly when he is struggling a bit would not go well with Mark. One of the reasons he is a top bloke.
I would be thrilled to have Mark captain Essendon but only after Lloydy decides -on his own- to retire.
Red and Black Forever
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Windy_Hill wrote:dont think much me needs to be said - this guy must take over the captaincy next year

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/t ... 40013.html

PRIVATE pre-season counselling from retired Essendon legend James Hird has prompted his close friend Mark McVeigh to instil the club's historical relevance into his younger teammates.

When the tears were wiped away from last year's emotional farewell to Hird and coach Kevin Sheedy in Perth, left in front of McVeigh was the stark reality that the Bombers were in for a tough overhaul.

Then when he stood in front of his No. 10 locker and saw the names above his of Essendon greats John Coleman, Alan Noonan, Garry Foulds and Gary O'Donnell, he decided to make a bold stand in what his Bombers knew would be a period of pain.

McVeigh said he knew a measured speech in front of the club's faithful at last year's best-and-fairest awards about his desire to help fill part of Hird's legacy would self-inflict an inescapable pressure to perform.

Fitter than at any point in his career, the former Sydneysider's 21.6 possessions a game this season are eight up on his career average, but he is also determined to ensure the long list of baby Bombers embrace the club's long-earned standing in the game.

West Australian-bred forward Scott Gumbleton says pointed words from McVeigh to find strength for the club had been a key motivation during his long and frustrating recovery.

In that, it is clear that McVeigh's commitment is already reaping valuable rewards.

Out of contract at the end of the year, but desperate to be a Bomber for life, the 27-year-old wants his final seasons to be his most meaningful. "I have to take that role on as a player because there's a real gap in our club in terms of age group where drafted players haven't come through or aren't there any more," said McVeigh, whose brother Jarrad plays for Sydney. "There's only myself and Adam Ramanauskas left from my draft year (1998).

"I came through an era when the club was invincible and I've seen how good it can be. I was passed down information from your Hirds, your Barnards, your Hardwicks, Alessios, Mercuris and Misitis, who are names you automatically put with Essendon.

Ironically, McVeigh delivered Hird one of his cruellest injuries when his knee accidentally smashed through his captain's cheekbone during a 2002 game against Fremantle at Subiaco Oval.

Rather than bear a grudge, Hird has been one of McVeigh's most staunch supporters, to the point where he has now set him on an employment path after football with Melbourne-based brokerage firm Evans & Partners.

But his guidance for life in football remains more immediate.

"After that last game where James had finished, we had some private conversations about taking that next step and trying to fill that void of players who won't be there, himself included," he said.

"He would say a little, but it would mean a lot to me. I would take it away and it would give me that extra 5% to keep working and little trigger things that would ring out when you waver a little.

"At the best-and-fairest, I spoke about James' passion and dedication and taking a little bit of that with you and I knew the ramifications that would have on me because I put my hand up to be the one to take it on board.

"So I went away in the pre-season and put my head down and worked extremely hard."

And through the changes at the club, McVeigh has not had to look far to keep his club focus grounded.

"I enjoy finding out a lot about the guys who have gone before you … on my locker, I've got Coleman, Noonan, Foulds and O'Donnell. You're reminded of that every day when you go to your locker and at least once a week, you tell yourself you don't want to be the weak link in that chain."

McVeigh's frantic pre-season workload led to him tearing his hamstring in round four against the Western Bulldogs, but he has worked back to the best form of his career.

As he prepared to face West Coast at Telstra Dome tonight, he said he rated last year's one-point win over the Eagles as one of the best of his career and one that gave his mate Hird a lasting football memory.

McVeigh played nine games as an 18-year-old in 1999, one game in the club's premiership-winning season of 2000 and then 23 in 2001, including the losing grand final to the Brisbane Lions.

Now with 170 games under his belt, he has backed Essendon coach Matthew Knights to lead a revival. "It's been a huge turnaround in eight years and the list turnover has been massive," he said.

"I understand the potshots being taken at us because the whole club's changed and we'll be judged on wins and losses. But our club is very united in the way we believe in 'Knighta' and the way he's trying to rebuild the club.

"Although we're not happy with the position we're in and we don't like losing and it's frustrating as a player, we're good mates and feel if we iron out a few things we aren't doing great, we're on the right track to developing a team to be able to challenge for a finals series in two or three years."
Used to be my teacher 3 years ago in primary :P
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

spikefan wrote:Clever pun, however I am a big fan of Spike too - obviously - and I can tell you that bagging Essendon Players of the class of Matthew Lloyd particularly when he is struggling a bit would not go well with Mark. One of the reasons he is a top bloke.
I would be thrilled to have Mark captain Essendon but only after Lloydy decides -on his own- to retire.
Well hopefully Matty realises he'll be better off without it. I understand the prestige and the honour of having the title, but he would be better off just being the "player". Terry Daniher, Gary O'Donnell and James Hird all relinquished the captaincy before they retired. No shame in that.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

KaaN10 wrote: Used to be my teacher 3 years ago in primary :P
That makes you all of what.......14?

Which primary school was that?
Essendunny
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

if the captaincy changes, I'd like to see it go to David Hille. Dead set champ. I'd rather Mcveigh just concentrates on being a gun.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

BenDoolan wrote:

I'm 15.

Alan Noonan was a teacher at Roxburgh Homestead which is in Roxburgh Park, not sure if he's still around.

The high school I go to which is Roxburgh College was on the news a few weeks ago because of that sex scandal where the teacher said "treat me like a sex slave"

What a great place Roxburgh Park is :roll:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

KaaN10 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I'm 15.

Alan Noonan was a teacher at Roxburgh Homestead which is in Roxburgh Park, not sure if he's still around.

The high school I go to which is Roxburgh College was on the news a few weeks ago because of that sex scandal where the teacher said "treat me like a sex slave"

What a great place Roxburgh Park is :roll:
So did you treat her like a sex slave????? Image
Essendunny
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Yeah I did.

:^o
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

All female teachers should be treated as sex slaves

The courts need to realise this fast!!!

I have concerns about the mental fitness of Lloyd if he does not hand in his wings at years end and it has to be given to Spike he is an outstanding person as well as a player which makes him ideal for the role
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

What I find fascinating is that all the positive press that we have been getting lately is about Spike doing this or that. The most impressive thing for me is him talking with Gumby about how to cope with his injuries and motivate himself to get back into the seniors - all this when there was some rumors that he wanted to go back home. This is the type of stuff that Lloyd should be doing (not saying that he isn''t) its just that you never hear about it.

If Lloyd steps down as the captain, how does he do it in a way that doesn't destroy the rest of his confidence (or what is left of it)?
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I wish the sexy teacher I had for year 8 English had fcked my brains out. Instead she married Footscray footballer, Allan Jennings.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

MH_Bomber wrote:
Out of contract at the end of the year, but desperate to be a Bomber for life, the 27-year-old wants his final seasons to be his most meaningful.

Surely Mark McVeigh is the first bloke that should be re-signed at the club. Sign him immediately, offer him a 3 year year and the captaincy.
Okay after Lloyd's game tonight just the 3 year deal ! :)
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

KaaN10 - as a young man there are many of life's lessons still ahead of you.

Here's one for nothing - the word 'allegedly' is a good one to use.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.